Back and Neck Pain: Finding Natural Relief
According to the latest European surveys, 80% of the world’s population suffers from pain in the back, waist and neck.
The percentage of those who have already suffered from back or neck pain increases by 3% every 5 years. At many times, the pain goes away on its own, but it is more likely that the ache will persist, becoming more painful and occurring intermittently.
This is because modern man has reduced physical activity, changed his diet and is possessed by permanent anxiety and stress. These situations have the effect of shown back pain, known to us as a twinge in the loin, calves and neck.
What Are the Causes of Back or Neck Pain?
As some of you know, the pain of these categories may be due to numerous causes.
We suspect some of these to include:
- An old vertebral fracture that is typically the result of a fall
- Any sudden movement, a sneeze or severe coughing
- Overexertion during sport
- A sudden increase of some physical activity for which the person is not accustomed
- Lifting heavy objects or furniture
- Any poor posture when sitting or walking
Beyond that, there are causes that we would not ever suspect, like:
- Pneumonia and blood clots in the lung may cause pain below the shoulder.
- The pain of the right kidney located right in front of the tip of the scapula. May be due to a kidney stone, a severe infection or a tumor.
- If you have had chickenpox, the virus lives in the nerves and can be activated, causing moderate to severe pain.
- Any small fractures to the spine from osteoporosis
- Lung cancer can also cause pain under the shoulder blade. However, it is not affected by movement and may be worse when someone is resting than when he is in motion.
- Spinal stenosis that occurs when the space around the spinal cord and nerve roots, narrows. It may occur due to over- development of arthritis and bone.
- Pains due to diseases of organs of the abdomen (nephropathy, cystitis, aneurysm, appendicitis and diseases of ovaries or pancreas) can be reflected in the back.
- Dr. Linda Carroll from the Alberta University of Canada studied 800 individuals.She points out that people who suffer from depression are four times more likely to develop intense pain in the lumbar region and the neck than people who do not suffer from depression.
Since the cause for such pain can be anything, it is advisable, when the pain continues for some time, to visit your doctor immediately.
However, what can we do with the help of our favorite herbs to relieve these painful aches?
How to Relieve Back and Neck Pain
- St. John's Wort Oil (Hypericum perforatum)
The number one herb for pain in the back, neck, waist and limbs is St. John's Wort.
The ancient Spartans used it to heal their wounds after the battles.
It is the best massage oil for aches, but also for every skin wound. It is also anti-inflammatory, healing, and it helps significantly in the treatment of sciatica, rheumatic pains, pains of the joints and burns.
You can buy it already prepared, or you can gather flowers during the month of May.
Tips: We arrange the flowers sparsely in a bottle. We cover it with pure olive oil and seal the bottle.
Then, leave it in the sun or near a radiator for 4-6 weeks. After the oil has acquired a red color, filter it with a cloth or a strainer and squeeze the flowers well. You can keep it in dark jars up to two years.
- Yarrow Tea (Achillea millefolium)
It could be hard to find a herb that can replace the yarrow.
In World War I, soldiers used it constantly as first aid for injuries.
It is valuable for many diseases, but above all, it is an ideal herb for women. I talk extensively about that later in another article.
Yarrow efficiently relieves any back and neck pain problems.
Use: Pour boiling water into a cup with a teaspoon of yarrow. Allow it to sit 3-4 minutes. Strain it and drink it as hot as you can.
You can drink this tea 3-4 times daily.
Caution: Yarrow contains achillin and plant pigments that have the capacity to lower blood pressure. That is why it is suggested in cases of hypertension.
- Thyme Compresses
Thyme is a herb with antispasmodic action, and it is excellent for joint, neck and back pain.
Use: Boil 500gr water and pour it into a jar with 20gr dried or 40-50gr fresh thyme (30grammes = 1 ounce).
Make compresses with it for a distressed area.
- An Ointment That You Can Make Yourself
You can, very simply, make the following ointment that relieves a lot of muscle aches from colds and sore joints. Use it fearlessly and as often as you wish.
Use: Melt ½ cup coconut oil and 2 teaspoons of beeswax. Once melted, remove it from the heat and allow 3-4 minutes to cool so as not to evaporate the essential oils when added.
Add 5-10 drops of essential oil of camphor, 5-10 drops of peppermint essential oil, 5 drops of rosemary essential oil and 5 drops of eucalyptus essential oil (minimum 5 drops – maximum 10 drops).
Mix well with a spoon and pour the mixture into a sterilized jar (wide mouth to be able to get the ointment in easily). Allow it to cool and solidify, and the ointment is ready for use.
- Pressures on the Neck and Shoulder
Sometimes, tension can accumulate in our shoulders or neck and create an unbearable headache. When this happens, the first thing we can do is to press with our fingers on the sore areas (if someone else can help, it is even better).
For 1-2 minutes for each point, we push, aiming more at the base of the neck and the muscles that are located between the shoulders and the base of the neck, and we make circular movements.
There are times when you do not need to do anything else other than simply drive the tension away from the body.
Take care not to expose yourself to cold after using either oil, tea or a compress.
- Final note
Everyone is hurt at some time or will be hurt from back pain because that pain is one of the most frequent pains in active and also anxious people.
With the help of doctors, we can exclude the pathological causes that can sometimes hide behind the back pain.
Then, we can assume that pain happens due to daily living or working conditions and be able to help our body with simple steps, minimizing pain.
You should not forget the vast majority of pharmaceutical formulations based on the beneficial effects of plants.
Therefore, harness the power of nature to make your health and life better.
I wish for you to be always healthy.